International companies have created 61 percent of all new U.S. manufacturing jobs over the past five years. In this timespan, many states have experienced significant increases in the growth of their manufacturing workforce from international companies. Nationally, FDI manufacturing jobs over the past five years grew by 14 percent, with twenty-one states across the country exceeding this average.
Here are the top ten states with the highest growth of FDI manufacturing jobs over the past five years:
- South Dakota: boasts the highest growth rate at a 54.5 percent increase. For example, Smithfield Foods has recently expanded its Sioux Falls facility, which employs over 3,000 workers.
- Michigan: ranks second in the country, with a 46.5 percent increase in its FDI manufacturing workforce. Magna has significantly grown its manufacturing workforce in the state with the opening of a new $50 million electronics manufacturing facility in Grand Blanc Township, Michigan.
- Rhode Island: ranks as the third highest state for its increase of 45.2 percent in the manufacturing workforce.
- Utah: has grown its FDI manufacturing workforce by 43.2 percent, nearly three times the national average.
- Kentucky: has continued to grow its FDI manufacturing workforce by 41.3 percent, which contributes to high employment rates throughout the commonwealth.
- Minnesota: has had a significant increase in the rate of growth of its FDI manufacturing workforce growing at a rate of 38.3 percent.
- New Jersey: ranks seventh in the country with a 35.3 percent increase. Transport manufacturing company Bombardier signed a $669 million contract with New Jersey Transit to provide 113 Multilevel III commuter rail cars with the potential for an additional supply of 886 rail cars.
- Illinois: has increased its FDI manufacturing workforce by 33.3 percent.
- Alabama: has grown its FDI manufacturing workforce by 27.8 percent, which is significantly higher than the national average.
- Alaska: is nearly double the rate of the national average at a 27.6 percent increase in its FDI manufacturing workforce.